Wednesday, July 15, 2009

wool soakers

So I've read all about how great wool soakers are for cloth diapers - wick moisture, breathe, don't leak you'd think they do, (and my favorite:) don't need to be washed. They go over the cotton diaper, which actually does the pee catching. They're supposed to be much cooler. And since I hate the heat and project that onto my children, I wanted to try them. I knitted two different ones to try them out.

The orange one I knitted in natural wool and then dyed with kool-aid. It was the first time I've done that, and the results are pretty uneven. Of course, that could be because I only bought 3 packets of kool-aid, then decided I needed more and found four really old ones in our cupboard. They weren't really powder anymore, but they were still orange. Don't tell Chris I used all his kool-aid. He saves it for when he's sick. Because that's healthy.


Here's the before and in-process. It was kool-aid and the microwave. Way better than the RIT dye on the stove, if you ask me. Or nasty real dye.



So far I like them, but maybe it's just because they're cute. Here's a gratuitous baby butt photo.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I like them! And cute chunky baby legs. Are they working?

I don't usually think of wool as being cool (temperature-wise). Why do I think that?

Sarah said...

I like them a lot. I'm impressed with the koolaid dying. I may give it a shot, and just act like I meant to do the dye that way.

Annie said...

I think of wool as warm too, but compared to plastic diaper covers, or disposable diapers, it's pretty cool. At least it breathes.

And I have a good friend who is a total clothes horse who only wears what he calls "summer weight wool" pants all summer. I don't really listen to the full explanation, so I can't give any more details than that.

Deirdre said...

Not only do I associate wool with "warm," but also "scratchy." Perhaps I need a little wool re-education.

Nice work Annie!

Morgan said...

Do they work? Really? No plastic pants? MUCH cuter that plastic!