Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sandbox cover

Summer seems to have eaten into my crafting time. That, and when I finally finish something, I'm not so good about taking a picture of it. But here goes.

The sandbox cover that the manufacturer of our sandbox sells is crap. It's very thin kind of vinyl with a bit of threadlike reinforcement. We've bought a new one every year. (Well, twice now). And every year it just shreds. This year I made one, using the shreds of the old one as a guide. The fabric is from the clearance section of outdoor fabric. It's more fabriclike than the old one - almost a canvas. I used fusible fleece to reinforce the edges that fold over the sides of the sandbox, as well as where the grommets are.

So far, so good. It's not as waterproof as the old one tried to be, but it is as catproof. If I were to make another one, I'd put a grommet in the very center to drain it, so there wouldn't be any puddling. What puddles it's collected haven't lasted long though, so I'm calling it good.

5 comments:

Deirdre said...

Nicely done! Are grommets hard? I'm completely intimidated.

crosenfe said...

I especially like the grommets. Nice work!

Morgan said...

I bow to you!!! You are amazing!

Kathleen said...

Turns out, grommets are easy! A $3 tool from the fabric store and you're good to go.

At least I think they're easy. Maybe we should see how these hold up before we make that a fact.

Annie said...

Nice work! Looks cat-proof to me.

I think you should mention that grommets are easy once you figure out how the pieces go together. Because trying to rip a wrong one out of fabric isn't so fun.