Sunday, September 21, 2008

Placemats











Once again, I have finished a project within a year of obtaining its materials. Okay, the lovely set of six placemats is only the beginning. I'll make coordinating napkins sometime, but not today. This project was wonderful because I also used some old flannel from my stash--I know it's a shame to waste Barbie (flannel) as placemat filler, but she and I were willing to sacrifice.

Normally I'm a quantitative gal. Statistics are part of my daily life. It turns out that on my time away from my job, I don't really so much like to measure. Or make sure things are properly aligned. Hope my guests don't either. Then again, they'll be so sidetracked by the yummy things on their plate masking their placemats that they won't even notice.

Amy Butler's pattern calls for using her fabulous fabric on the back of the placemat, too. I avoided this blatant scam and backed the placemats with muslin. Barbie was pretty bright, so I went with one layer of Barbie and two layers of muslin. They're a nice weight and should keep too much heat from passing through.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

These are beautiful! I'm glad you were willing to sacrifice Barbie. I think it was for a great cause.

Sarah said...

When you decide to make me an oil cloth apron just for the heck of it you can feel free to throw in some beautiful placemats. They look wonderful!

Deirdre said...

Less than one year from purchase to completion? I'm so jealous!

Annie said...

Very snazzy. I really like the paisley and stripes together. They look great!

Unknown said...

i love your choice of fabrics! i would have never thought to put them together, but they came out beautifully!