Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Celebration Flags


As this time of the year approaches, I feel like all our work to raise children aware of, and resistant to, consumer culture, falls apart. It starts with Tucker's birthday and goes downhill. So I've been on a kick to find ways to make celebrations fun and special without buying. Hence the celebration flags.
I saw these in a book. The person made them by cutting triangles with pinking shears and sewing them to binding tape. I don't have pinking shears, and I know my mom did, so I didn't want to buy any (I like to think of myself as anti-consumer and eco-friendly, but the reality may just be McCarty). So I sewed triangles together, with the added bonus of having them be two sided. It's a great project for all the small remnants of fabric I had (I *know* that's McCarty). They're really fun. We've had them up since we finished them, in preparation for Tucker's birthday, but they'll be great for any celebration. Tucker has big plans to pull them out for Groundhog Day.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

So cute! (Do I recognize a little Soule Mama there?) I'm guessing you find a lot of times to put them out.

Also, where do you find the time to sew, again?

Sarah said...

Those are great! I would like some for various celebrations at my home. We need a McCarty version of etsy.

Annie said...

You do recognize a little Soule Mama in there. Went for the unschooling, stayed for the flags.