Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pillowcases for the Grands-In-Law

I wanted to bring something personalized to my grandparents-in-law when I visited them a couple weeks ago. I thought pillowcases would be something useful, and I think they're pretty.

To make them, I cut up a 100% cotton flat king sheet that I bought when it was on sale at Target. I even measured for this project (there's nothing worse than gifting shoddy work to people who speak languages I don't understand). I cut out a big rectangle, zig-zagged the edges, then sewed the case to form the bottom and side seam. Then I ironed on the pattern, selected some colors--two shades of purple and two shades of green--and embroidered away. After I embroidered, I made the big blind hem on the end to encase the back of the stitching. Voila.

5 comments:

Mary said...

is that your mother coming out in you? They are beautiful!

Sarah said...

Dang! Nice work.

Annie said...

That's some quality work. They look great.

Unknown said...

Very nice! Mary's comment is a compliment.

Deirdre said...

These are lovely! So glad you found a project that lets you cover up the ugly side. A perfect gift for Mom someday...