Sunday, July 13, 2008

Apron


I've wanted an oilcloth apron for a while now. And I've had a crush (thanks for the lingo, Kathleen) on the oilcloth at Treadle Yard Goods for years. I actually completed this project in a way more timely fashion than usual: I bought the fabric in February, with this actual project in mind. Then I began cutting the pieces out a couple months ago, and then Bernie (my Bernina) decided to rebel against me. I hadn't had a chance to bring Bernie to the doctor until last weekend, so when he came home better, I was ready to crank out the remainder of my apron. Luckily, I had so much momentum to finish the project when Bernie first broke, so I cut all the pieces out and planned it completely that day. When I returned to the project yesterday, all I had to do was sew. My dreams finally came to fruition yesterday. And Mom & Deirdre were there cheering me on! Were I do make another such apron, I would use a non-oilcloth fabric for the neck and side straps. But I'm still really happy with it.

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

I can see why you have a crush. It's cute!

Sarah said...

I kind of hope you have my name for Christmas!

Morgan said...

ADORABLE!!! Was oil cloth hard to sew?

Unknown said...

I love the pattern! Nice work!!

Annie said...

Wicked cool. Did you make up the pattern yourself?

Mary said...

great job!

crosenfe said...

Here are some follow-ups to the comments: 1) I'll definitely do Christmas names if we can rig the drawing 2) For the pattern, I just traced an existing apron (using an inkpen) and guessed some seam allowances (it's oilcloth, so finishing the seams is just for vanity, so far as I know) 3) I learned that it's best to use a leather needle on oilcloth and to let the fabric feed itself, even though it seems like it might need help. I was very impressed with Bernie easily sewing through a good 6 or 8 layers of it! And FYI, Treadle Yard Goods (Grand Ave, St. Paul) has tons of colors of oilcloth and different styles--1 yard at $9.99 can definitely do 2 aprons, except if it's for McCarty Christmas when the fabric is clearly more expensive.

Deirdre said...

She looks cute wearing it, that's for sure. Be proud, Claire!