Saturday, July 26, 2008

whiplash shirt





This is my first attempt at stenciling. I'd originally started this project last year for my friend Jeff's birthday. I'd made the stencil design, bought the freezer paper to print it on and use as the stencil, and then decided I just didn't care any more and bought him The Cable Guy instead.

So when his birthday came around this year I decided to give it another go. I'm glad I did because it's actually a fun process once you get the hang of it. I had bought spray-on fabric paint and tried that on my first shirt. It came out way too fast and heavy and bled all over. So on the second try I sprayed the paint into a container and dabbed it onto the stencil with a small foam brush. This worked much better. There's still some bleeding, as you can see around the dog's head, so next time I'll have to be careful to use less paint.

I'm excited to make more stenciled shirts. Any other ideas?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it.

Deirdre said...

I love it too! What you refer to as "bleeding" seems like a cool shadow effect. This seems like two crafts in one (making stencil and making stenciled items). Way to double-time it!

Deirdre said...

PS: I think pirates would be very stencil-friendly.

Morgan said...

M-C

Awesome shirt!
I stenciled sweatshirts LOOOOONG ago... I used regular acrylic craft paint and a dry stencil brush... There is very little liquid so no bleeding.

See if that helps!

crosenfe said...

I am so impressed! That stencil is awesome! My stick figures are that decipherable. Way to go MC! Have you thought of using puffy paint!?!?!

Kathleen said...

I can't even tell you how impressed I am. So you took a picture, then decided where to cut to make the stencil? Good job! I hope he liked his present!