Thursday, October 22, 2009

Snack bags

I'm as behind as Annie. Early this summer I got tired of asking "Whose bag of fishies/crackers/bunnies is on the floor of the truck/garage/toyroom?" So I made these. Each kid has their own, so I can identify it. An additional benefit is that I don't buy snack baggies anymore.

The outside is whatever scraps I had that the kids picked out, which explains the different sizes, and the inside is rip-stop nylon. The closure is velcro from end to end. They work well for dry food, but I'd like to get over my fear of sewing on vinyl and try that for things like apples. Has anyone ever sewn on vinyl?

I wash and dry these with no problem. I'm not sure how food safe they are, but I'm willing to risk it.

5 comments:

crosenfe said...

Very nice! I love the idea.

I have not sewn on vinyl, but I have sewn on oilcloth. It's sort of like sewing denim because it's so thick. The important thing is to use a leather needle that punctures through the vinyl with ease.

Sarah said...

Should you need a gift idea for me for Christmas I would love to have these to use at lunch.

Deirdre said...

This is a genius idea. Very inspiring!

Annie said...

These are a great idea - I remember them from the family reunion, and was just thinking about them. Clever.

Unknown said...

I don't think you would have any trouble.