Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pushing the bounds of social acceptability...

Perhaps some of this is the kind of thing one should keep to oneself, but I'm so pleased that I'm sharing anyway.




We've been making our own lotion for a few years now, and while Chris tells me that's odd, I like it. It's mixing, melting, and pouring, so it's entertaining for the kids, and it's much cheaper than buying lotion that has ingredients I recognize. So above we have hand lotion, diaper wipe liquid, "calm down" lotion for the big kids (it doesn't work, but don't tell them. I'm hoping it will kick in any day now.), and a wax we made to finish some wood, but which makes great lotion (here's where we get into the stuff I should keep to myself). Today Neave has a terrible diaper rash from the chili I knew I shouldn't give her, so we made diaper ointment, below.




I recently made a hair rinse from apple cider vinegar that actually seems to be making a difference on my dry dry dry winter scalp.



And here's calendula oil in the making, which I'm mostly showing because it's so pretty, which probably doesn't come across in this photo.


Yesterday Chris said, "we're out of glue. We should put that on this list. Unless you're going to make some of that," in a fairly sarcastic voice. But the glue seems to work just great. On the plus side, Tucker thinks it's delicious. So delicious he sneaks bites of it out of the fridge, where it's kept. At least I know what my paste eater is eating, right?... Somehow that doesn't make me feel better.


And here's the coup de grace of my social acceptability - my own deodorant!



I'm so pleased with it. I really like it. I know, it's winter, and it probably won't stand the test of summer, when I really need an antiperspirant. But I made it with fir balsam essential oil, so I smell a bit like Christmas.

Just for the record, Chris has stopped using his medicinal cream for his eczema, and started using the wood wax. And remarking on how we shouldn't have to use petroleum products just because the oil industry wants to get rid of their waste products. I just nod, but I think we all know I won: we're both lame.

9 comments:

crosenfe said...

I'm not really sure where to start. So how about the hand lotion. Is it greasy? Or how long does it take to absorb in.? I have lots of other things to ask, but I'll save them for a more personal venue. I like the reuse of containers. Nice work.

Kathleen said...

Lame? Uh, no - awesome!

I'd like more details on the lotion, please. How do you make it? Where do you find the supplies?

I'd also like to be involved in Claire's personal venue questions!

Morgan said...

I want to be in on the lotion discussion... I have crazy dry skin and Mariah's hands are chapped!

Annie said...

You may regret you asked, because I'm super into this.

Mostly we just use sweet almond oil, often mixed with essential oils. They smell good, and I think some of them actually do help my skin, but I know I'm getting fruity in my old age. Almond oil is super light, and works for everything from Neave to my face. And it is oil, so it's a bit oily when you put it on, and it doesn't have any alcohol like purchased lotions, so it can take a couple minutes to absorb. But it actually hydrates my hands, so I'll put up with it. It's actually too light for me in the winter.

Coconut oil is heavier, and good for winter and after baths. In the winter on my hands, I put on almond oil, and then the wood wax, which is jojoba oil and beeswax mixed. It's lovely. For Megan's and my pregnant bellies in the winter, I used shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, beeswax and water. Also with essential oils, because shea butter smells exactly like Grandpa's house in town. And I love that, but it's a bit odd to smell like old man and stale smoke all day. This one makes a cream, a la fancy Body Shop tubs. So I feel fancy when I make it.

I've just started using peanut oil mixed with almond on my face at night. You cannot vanquish the smell of peanut oil, but my forehead is so dry, I don't care. And it's gone by morning.

I buy all this stuff bulk at my coop, which is one of the reasons I love Minneapolis. YOu can get it online, but in greater quantities. But if you're interested, let me know and I can give you names. But I'm trying not to cross the line from obsession into proselytizing.

Sarah said...

I'm interested in you starting an Etsy shop so that I can just buy it from you. It's very cool, but I think I'm too lazy.

Mary said...

Annie, I just read that plain lemon is a good deordorant. That should be easier!
Also, I thought it was interesting about your vinegar hair rince as that is what we always used at home.

Annie said...

Lemon does seem easier, at least in the preparation part, but I worry about my freshly shaved armpits.

Why did you use vinegar? And how did you get it on your hair? That's what I'm struggling with. Right now I just pour it over the top from the jar, but it seems like there should be an better way.

Annie said...

Thanks for the idea, Sarah. Tucker is dying to sell something, which makes me cringe. I want nothing to do with lemonade stands where we guilt adults into buying stuff, or taking his "baked playdough" to Target to ask them to sell it. So if I can't get him to let go of the commerce idea, maybe we'll try Etsy. There's no face-to-face shame for me there.

Mary said...

Mom just put vinegar in water and poured it over for a final rince. She said it helped clean the soap off.