Saturday, February 9, 2008

Wrist Warmers and Magic Loop





I've been busy this week. Well, snowed in is more like it. On Tuesday I finished the wave wrist warmers I've been working on for Sophie. They are made out of some amazing wool. It appears to be hand spun, as the yarn varries from sport weight to bulky. It really worked with the pattern.
Today at Des Moines Metro Knitters I learned how to knit in magic loop. It was awkward at first, but I think I'm really going to like it when I get it down. Magic loop takes the place of using dpns to knit in the round. You use a circular needle, split the stiches in two, and get to work. This is really nice because you don't get the laddering that you can get with dpns. It also solves some of the tension problems I have between the needles. I think I'm going to start going to knitting group more often. They were really helpful, and it was nice to knit with people that appreciate knitting.

7 comments:

mary-claire said...

those wrist warmers look awesome! great job! i'm glad you liked the yarn. it isn't near as soft as the baby alpaca stuff but i guess it'll do. at least she won't have to worry about that embarrassing silence that usually follows asking someone if they want to feel your hat... not such a great conversation starter, turns out. did you get her address?

Kathleen said...

You know, you'd think that with your productivity volume that your quality level would go down. Not so. Sometime we should go down to Donna's and you could have a knit off with that Australian woman. You would so kick her ass.

Sarah said...

Nothing in the world is as soft as that baby alpaca stuff. It's only an odd pause until they actually feel your hat. After that they totally get it. You should buy more of that yarn so I can make more stuff for you.

Sarah said...

Oh, and Donna's closed. That mean Australian must have run everyone off.

Unknown said...

They're BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I can't wait to wear them. I'll probably never take them off, once I put them on.

Thank you, Thank you.

essjay said...

I'm so glad magic loop worked out for you! :) It would be fun to have you there at knitting group!

Deirdre said...

You're going to have to sit me down and explain slowly in small words how this magic loop works. I knit an entire hat with ladder-marks where the dpns connected and desperately need a solution!