Monday, December 10, 2007

Ugly but Functional Craft


Here are the boot rugs I made for our side door, which is where we come in in the winter with all our stuff on, but is just landing on the stairs. I crocheted them out of strips of fleece, which I cut in a way that I learned from Claire's Big Hooks book. You cut a strip down one side, but stop about an inch before the edge of the fabric. Then you start the next strip from the edge, but don't go all the way to the edge at the end. It makes one long strip with no sewing or knotting. Sure, there are corners sticking out in places, but I like to just shove them back in.


They aint pretty, but they catch all the melting snow and sand and salt, and are machine washable. They feel lovely to stand on, and Deirdre has suggested a big rug for in front of the sink, to fully enjoy the squishy.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Do you think I could knit these, as I lack the skills to crochet? They look really comfortable and warm. I think one for my kitchen would be perfect, as the tile gets so cold in the winter.

Kathleen said...

These are great! I would like one for my tile as well, but also for the garage door entrance. How wide are the strips?

Annie said...

The strips are about 1 1/2" wide, but very variable, because I'm too lazy to measure. I also don't know what size my crochet hook is, because it's not labeled (and I threw the package away, because who would not lable the hook?). But I don't think it matters much, as long as hook/needle and strips work together.

I think you could totally knit one, Sarah. It would just take longer, but will use less fleece. I just bought a whole bolt of fleece to make a bathroom rug in the ridiculous shape our bathroom rug needs to be. Very excited.