Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ugly Hat


I had a snow day today, so instead of doing things I should be doing, like cleaning, I decided to make a hat. It's from the most recent issue of Creative Knitting. I saw the pattern and thought that it looked hideous, but really warm. I hadn't worked on cables in a while, and I'd never worked with bobbles before, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is more formed than any other hat I've made, and is really warm. It also helped me clean out my stash of bulky acrylic yarn. In the magazine they knit it out of a neutral khakish color, I had some extra navy lying around so I went with that. I'm glad I went with that, as it is much better looking than the bland sample in the magazine.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

First of all, let me say that although I've not seen it in person yet, you tend to not make anything ugly. It looks pretty to me. I like the bubble things.

Annie said...

Were the bobbles hard?

Sarah said...

The bobbles are easier than they look. All you do is knit into the front and the back of the same stitch twice (4 stitches), turn the work, slip the first stitch as if to purl, purl 3, turn the work, slip the first stich as if to knit, knit 3, slip 3rd stich over the 4th (bind it off), slip the 2nd stich over the 4th stitch, then slip the last stich over the 4th. After that you can just push the bobble through (it will take a round or two before you can see it in all it's glory). The only issue I had with them is when I turned the work to purl on the first bobble of each round I would panic and think I hadn't finished the round before it yet, because when I turned it I wasn't to the stitch marker first. You probably wouldn't be as knit spazzy so you'ld do fine.